TIP of the MONTH
Coach Jerry “Kal” Kalista
November 1, 2017
BASEBALL QUIZ (Answers next month’s Tip of the Month)
- What was the date of birth/hatching (month-day-year) of the Baltimore Orioles mascot, BIRD?
- Which finger on a pitcher’s throwing hand controls a curve ball and slider?
- Who was the only pitcher to lead the National League in strike-outs three (3) times in the 1980’s?
- What type of pitch was Dwight Gooden’s “YACKER”?
- What’s the call? A batter hits a ground ball past the pitcher, but hits the pitcher’s plate and rolls into foul territory between first base and home plate.
- What is a pitcher’s E.R.A. if he gives up four (4) earned runs in six (6) innings?
- On May 1, 1920, Leon Cadore of the Brooklyn Dodgers and Joe Oeschger of the Boston Braves each hurled a complete game against one another. The result was a 1 to 1 tie. What was even more remarkable about the game?
- A line drive hits the second base umpire on the fly and ricochets to the shortstop who catchers it before it hits the ground. The shortstop throws to first too late to get the batter out, safe, or is there another ruling?
- It is possible for a pitcher to throw a perfect game and yet have his team make an error during the game?
- True or false? At one time in the major leagues, if a fair ball bounced into the outfield stands, it was a home run?
- With one man out and a man on first base, a player hits a grounder to the outfield. When the ball is finally thrown in, both runners are standing on third base. The third baseman tags them both. What’s the call?
- What is the score of a forfeited game in the major leagues?
- True or false? A Houston Astros game at the Astrodome was rained out?
- SITUATION: Runner on first base. Batter hits a ball which strikes the runner who is standing on the first base bag. What’s the call?
- SITUATION: Batter steps from one batter box to the other while the pitcher is standing on the pitcher’s plate. What’s the call?
- What is the weight of a Major League baseball?
- How many stitches are on a Major League baseball?
- What is the distance from home plate to second base on a Major League baseball field?
- What is the size of the pitcher’s circle on a Major League baseball field?
- What is the distance from home plate to the pitcher’s plate on a Major League baseball field? 20a. Measured from where to where?
- What is the height of a Major League’s pitcher’s mound?
- How wide is home plate?
- What is the distance between first base and third base?
PROPER PREPARATION PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCE!
ALWAYS BE POSITIVE! ALWAYS GIVE 100% ENERGY TAKES NO TALENT!
Coach Jerry “Kal” Kalista
NOTE: Direct any questions or comments to Coach Kalista at email@example.com